Friday, January 15, 2016

Terrarium for Christmas


 Green Stress Management
Terrariums are magical places. A "place" my daughter asked for as her Christmas present this year. I made many terrariums back in the 70's when they were all the rage--a throw back from the Victorian era when travel and the collection of exotic plants captured the imagination of the upper class.
So I called upon my memories and assembled some odds and ends I had collected over the years. A trip to a home decor store for a jar was first on my agenda. Then came the home improvement center for some small stones and charcoal for drainage. The last stop and the most fun was the stop along a busy highway where a bluff had been cut in order to construct said highway. As the cars whizzed by, some honking and waving, I searched for just the "right" rocks to add a sense of the Missouri landscape I was looking for inside this delicate glass jar. Back in the car with a pocket weighted down with a dozen rocks and something I was pretty sure felt like it was crawling, I took off for home eager to begin my "build".                           
                    
After washing the jars (the one on the right was an extra for overflow should there be any) I placed clean sand into the bottom for drainage. Then came the charcoal for purification.
A layer of small round rocks came next--evenly distributed allowing some to show on the sides.







Here is the assortment of rocks and sticks I wanted to choose from to add interest to the "place". Also a few terrrarium plants I bought at a local greenhouse. Start with only a few--it gets really busy in there fast!!You can also divide many of the little plants you buy and arrange them in groups of odd numbers. Also try to place the items, as well as the plants, on varying levels. Do this by mounding up an area in the back of the jar.

The potting soil came next, then I watered it all in. Not too much water, just enough to hold it all together.
From here the placing of the plants and objects began in earnest. Some of the plants needed a little pruning to contain them and give the most esthetically pleasing results. I chose plants that were slow growing and enjoyed a high level of humidity and moisture. I also wanted a variety of textures and colors.
I visually decided on how I wanted everything to fit and started the placement. After everything was in the right location I watered it well and placed the lid on top.

Below are photos of the finished terrarium that was a Christmas presents to my daughter.
There are some interesting Missouri rocks and a large variety of textures and colors. Do not over water this terrarium. It should need very little if you keep the lid on it. If condensation occurs remove the lid for a few hours. Also it does better in filtered light. Strong sun will trap heat in the glass and cause your little plants to over heat.




If you look carefully you might be able to see a woodland creature or a tiny Airstream nestled in the landscape.

Everyone should try making one of these beautiful miniature gardens. They are not difficult to make and can bring a lot of wonder and peaceful imaginings. So make one--kick back with a little soft meditation music, a cup of tea and go to a tiny world where there are no politics. Post a comment is you have questions.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks