Sunday, March 17, 2013

Still Winter in Missouri

"I can think of no greater happiness than to be clear-sighted and know the miracle when it happens. And I can think of no more real life than the adventurous one of living and liking and exclaiming the things of one's own time".
Robert Henri
 
It is St. Patrick's Day and snowing outside. I have listened to a collection of Celtic music and dreamed about standing on a windswept moor with my hair and long black coat snapping in the rainy wind--listening to Loreena McKennitt does that to me. Stepping out my back door feels a little like that today.
With my camera in hand, Keefer and I go for a walk, through the orchard, toward the pond. We run and fall, she jumps, I fall again. The sun has decided to come out for a while making everything soft and bright. Keefer darts by daring me to try to take a photograph of her in the snow. She stops and teases me with the perfect pose then darts away again--ears flapping. When she gets distracted by something under the snow and stops to paw the ground I get my shot.
It is a great happiness to be clear-sighted and know the miracle. A simple miracle of a spotted dog in a snowy orchard on St. Paddy's Day 2013.
Here is a painting of Keefer. She is a sweet companion who loves living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks