Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sign Posts from Robert Henri

"There are moments in our lives, there are moments in a day, when we seem to see beyond the usual. Such are the moments of our greatest happiness. Such are the moments of our greatest wisdom. If one could but recall his vision by some sort of sign. It was in this hope that the arts were invented. Sign posts on the way to what may be. Sign posts toward greater knowledge".
                                                                                                                          Robert Henri


This is one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite artists. It guides me daily, it justifies my existence, it helps me cultivate my vision. Robert Henri was a visionary, a painterly artist, and a brilliant teacher--all thing I strive for every moment.
In this moment from where I am sitting, I see eleven bright red male cardinals sitting in a Flowering Quince just about to burst bud. As the evening sun strikes a scarlet color on their topknots, I know exactly where I will use that hue in a painting on my easel. When I fill a brush with that brighter that bright red and glance it across the surface of the canvas, feeling it is the right mark at the right time, my happiness and my wisdom are complete. When I stand back and look, I know it is the sign that helps me recall my vision. It is through these sign posts that I reach for another canvas and another tube of red paint. And yet another moment beyond the usual.

Cardinal Red Peony
I wish there were enough hours in the day to translate unusual moments into paintings, songs, and poems.
In my blog posts to come I will periodically talk about Robert Henri and some of the things I have learned from him.
If you are interested in finding out more about his life and teachings, his book is called The Art Spirit.
It was published in 1923



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks