Sunday, May 8, 2016

10 Things to Know About Junking.



10 Things to think about, remember, or inspire you when you wrap your life around antiques, collectibles, and junk.



1. Fall in love because there is no substitute for good old fashion passion.
By "fall in love" I mean love what you see, love yourself for seeing it, and fall in love with the interaction you have with objects from the past.

2. Remember every object has a story-- or two. The older the object-- the more stories it is likely to have. I know most of the stories of some of the family pieces handed down to me by relatives. But I am sure I don't know them all. It is good to know the stories behind the tables, chairs, embroidered pillowcases, and cake stands that fill a collection but not entirely essential. For what I do not know I can invent! That is another entire blog post-- my invention of the personal narratives of objects.

3. Trust that someone else will love these things as much as you do.

4.Think carefully before you change something irrevocably.And after you think carefully--do it unashamedly!

5. Don't follow trends--make them.

6. Incorporate the elements of design and principles of Art in as many of your decisions as you can.
Again, this is probably another blog post.

7. Some people will love your stuff and others will not-- do not take it personally. Custom work is not always easy.

8. Know that in this world of plastic water bottles and planned obsolescence there is true value in being the care takers of handmade items.

9. Think about this--sometimes the best stuff is in the worst looking place. I am beginning to see a pattern here. I could take each one of theses topics and do a blogpost.


10. Whether you are "junking"  for yourself, to decorate your home or workspace, or to sell in a small business--- know this-- acquiring things is a journey. You learn along the way. I have never known anyone to get terribly rich doing this but I know a lot of people who are terribly happy doing it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks